THE Charleston Artist Guild (CAG) was founded in 1953 by a small group of local artists, including Anne Worsham Richardson, Alfred Heber Hutty and Elizabeth O’Neill Verner, who sought a way to display their works, network with other artists and become more involved in the community.
Today, the CAG has approximately 700 members and operates the CAG Gallery, where more than 70 of the Lowcountry’s most well-respected artists sell their work. The gallery is Charleston’s premier gallery for high-quality, local art. A nonprofit organization, CAG fulfills the vision of its founders and members by hosting annual community outreach programs for youth, residents of area Alzheimer’s care facilities and other partner organizations.
New artists are juried into the guild twice annually, and educational programs, critiques and other artistic development opportunities are held throughout the year. The CAG Gallery, located at 160 East Bay St., is open daily, with safety precautions in place, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.